Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘I have so long been absent from the pages of the Maga. that if I do not make my appearance soon my readers will imagine a total absquatulation.’
- ‘It went downhill after its deplorable absquatulation to North Kingstown, in 1964.’
- ‘When Gwenyth Paltrow perfected a flawless English accent to accompany her brilliant acting in Emma, eyes turned and casting began with absquatulation.’
- ‘Bailey Beadle, senior partner of Beadle and Tatum, a South Florida private investigating firm specializing in cases of provoked absquatulation, was mulling over his morning mail.’
- ‘Fancypants, yes, but I'd have to slice them up and commence absquatulation!’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.