Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘They absorb UVB light over the full range but are not particularly effective sunscreens because they have low absorptivity.’
- ‘To improve water solubility and red absorptivity of hypocrellins, a series of hypocrellin derivatives have been synthesized in the last 20 years, among which are the amino-substituted hypocrellins.’
- ‘The absorptivity of the extractable phenols does extend to the UV-A and UV sensitivity of isolated spinach thylakoids and the green alga Dunaliella salina extends into the UV-A waveband.’
- ‘The overall calculated frequency dependence of the absorbances shown in Fig.4 is in fairly good agreement with the experiment; however, they do not reproduce the observation that WT has higher absorptivity than D96N in this region.’
- ‘In a separate experiment, samples were exposed to prolonged irradiation under laboratory conditions, resulting in complete loss of absorptivity in the wavelengths between 290 and 400 nm.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.