Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spectrum of electromagnetic radiation transmitted through a substance, showing dark lines or bands due to absorption at specific wavelengths.Compare with emission spectrum
- ‘The wide absorption spectrum of the electron transfer chain revealed by the transient measurements may contribute to the high efficiency of energy trapping in PSI.’
- ‘This wavelength also coincides with a peak in the mercury lamp spectrum and with the Soret band of the PpIX absorption spectrum.’
- ‘The redshift in the absorption spectrum reflects electronic interactions between the porphyrin and the melanins.’
- ‘The lowest-energy absorption band lies outside the absorption spectrum of DNA / RNA, allowing selective excitation of 2AP.’
- ‘Following Forster himself, one may use a specific absorption spectrum, a normalized emission spectrum and an estimate of the radiative lifetime.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.