One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spectrum of electromagnetic radiation transmitted through a substance, showing dark lines or bands due to absorption at specific wavelengths.Compare with emission spectrum
- ‘The redshift in the absorption spectrum reflects electronic interactions between the porphyrin and the melanins.’
- ‘Following Forster himself, one may use a specific absorption spectrum, a normalized emission spectrum and an estimate of the radiative lifetime.’
- ‘The lowest-energy absorption band lies outside the absorption spectrum of DNA / RNA, allowing selective excitation of 2AP.’
- ‘This wavelength also coincides with a peak in the mercury lamp spectrum and with the Soret band of the PpIX absorption spectrum.’
- ‘The wide absorption spectrum of the electron transfer chain revealed by the transient measurements may contribute to the high efficiency of energy trapping in PSI.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.