Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring the absorption of light or other radiation.
- ‘Major products include Microplate washers, absorptiometers and fluorescence photometers, as well as software to control such equipment.’
- ‘The absorbency of nitric acid ions in the solution is measured using UV absorptiometer at a wavelength of 220 nm.’
- ‘Measurement of hydrides with this absorptiometer is performed as follows.’
- ‘Bone mineral density of the lumbar spine and femoral neck were measured with a dual-energy X-ray absorptiometer (Lunar Corp., Madison, Wisconsin), and scans were obtained at baseline and after 2 years of treatment.’
- ‘The analyzers act as absorptiometers measuring only in the 4.26 m and 2.60 m wavebands ensuring accurate, rapid and stable results.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.