One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A measure of the capacity of a substance to absorb light of a specified wavelength. It is equal to the logarithm of the reciprocal of the transmittance.‘a plot of absorbance versus wavelength would give a Gaussian curve’count noun ‘absorbances were recorded with a clinical photometer’
- ‘Then, absorbances at the four wavelengths were calculated.’
- ‘The isotropic emission spectra were normalized to the corresponding absorbance at the excitation wavelength.’
- ‘In these experiments electron absorbances were measured as a function of increasing laser intensity and, subsequently, as a function of decreasing laser intensity.’
- ‘The absorbance measured is directly proportional to the concentration of human leptin present.’
- ‘The total cavity loss is then the sum of the mirror transmission and the sample absorbance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.