One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instrumental music not intended to represent or illustrate something else.Compare with programme music
- ‘Very little of Mauricio Kagel's work is absolute music; there is almost invariably a programme of some kind lurking behind every note of it.’
- ‘As Chua advances into the nineteenth century, the paradoxes and ambiguities concerning the nature of absolute music pile up, to considerable dramatic effect.’
- ‘Some musicologists might argue that the Inventions fall into a category of absolute music.’
- ‘G.I. Gurdjieff conducted experiments in search of absolute music, sounds that would have a specific, predictable effect on the listener.’
- ‘Indeed, throughout her life Beach never wavered from her deep belief in absolute music as a force for moral redemption - however anachronistic this would come to appear in the more disturbed decades after the First World War.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.