One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The magnitude (brightness) of a celestial object as it would be seen at a standard distance of 10 parsecs.Compare with apparent magnitude
brightness, brilliance, radiance, luminosityView synonyms
- ‘As shown in the preceding section, the spread process is much more volatile relative to the absolute magnitude of the spread.’
- ‘From the time period, determine the star's actual brightness, also called the absolute magnitude.’
- ‘Relative risk indicates the relative size of the difference in disease rates between two groups, but it gives no indication of the absolute magnitude of the disease rates.’
- ‘Their absolute magnitude is that of their appearance at 10 parsecs, or 32.6 light-years.’
- ‘An award… shall be presented annually to the amateur astronomer who, using amateur equipment only, discovers the largest absolute magnitude new asteroid having a near-Earth orbit during the preceding calendar year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.