One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The magnitude (brightness) of a celestial object as it would be seen at a standard distance of 10 parsecs.Compare with apparent magnitude
brightness, brilliance, radiance, luminosityView synonyms
- ‘From the time period, determine the star's actual brightness, also called the absolute magnitude.’
- ‘An award… shall be presented annually to the amateur astronomer who, using amateur equipment only, discovers the largest absolute magnitude new asteroid having a near-Earth orbit during the preceding calendar year.’
- ‘Their absolute magnitude is that of their appearance at 10 parsecs, or 32.6 light-years.’
- ‘Relative risk indicates the relative size of the difference in disease rates between two groups, but it gives no indication of the absolute magnitude of the disease rates.’
- ‘As shown in the preceding section, the spread process is much more volatile relative to the absolute magnitude of the spread.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.