Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The magnitude (brightness) of a celestial object as it would be seen at a standard distance of 10 parsecs.Compare with apparent magnitude
brightness, brilliance, radiance, luminosityView synonyms
- ‘Their absolute magnitude is that of their appearance at 10 parsecs, or 32.6 light-years.’
- ‘An award… shall be presented annually to the amateur astronomer who, using amateur equipment only, discovers the largest absolute magnitude new asteroid having a near-Earth orbit during the preceding calendar year.’
- ‘As shown in the preceding section, the spread process is much more volatile relative to the absolute magnitude of the spread.’
- ‘From the time period, determine the star's actual brightness, also called the absolute magnitude.’
- ‘Relative risk indicates the relative size of the difference in disease rates between two groups, but it gives no indication of the absolute magnitude of the disease rates.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.