One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ethanol containing less than one per cent of water by weight.
- ‘The samples comprised neoplastic tissue, and each was subjected to the following regimen: the sample was placed in a 10% formalin solution for 24 hr, a 96% alcohol solution for 24 hr, and absolute alcohol for 24 hr.’
- ‘Animals have been recovered from this state after immersion in liquid helium, absolute alcohol, brine, and ether.’
- ‘Soluble in benzene, absolute alcohol, and ether, it is derived either from boiling coal-tar oils with subsequent crystallization and distillation, or from petroleum fractions following various catalytic processing operations.’
- ‘This is a modified mixture of Carnoy's fluid containing absolute alcohol, chloroform, and glacial acetic acid.’
- ‘Once absolute alcohol has been produced it must be stored in such a manner as to exclude water, since the high hygroscopic nature of the ethanol will readily reabsorb the water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.