Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In an absent-minded way; vaguely.‘Keira toyed absently with her fork’
distractedly, inattentively, abstractedly, unheedingly, carelessly, absent-mindedly, on automatic pilotdreamily, with one's head in the clouds, in a world of one's own, lost in thoughtblankly, vacuouslyView synonyms
- ‘Gareth was holding my hands, absently brushing his thumbs back and forth like he always does.’
- ‘She was absently chewing her bottom lip and her eyes stared blankly into space.’
- ‘I stare absently at the pattern of the fabric on the seats, an angular blur of red, grey and blue.’
- ‘He kicked it absently as he made his way to the entrance, his arms folded over his torso, his teeth chattering from the biting cold.’
- ‘He sat up and looked at her, absently tapping the edge of the piano keys without making a sound.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.