One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In an absent-minded way; vaguely.‘Keira toyed absently with her fork’
distractedly, inattentively, abstractedly, unheedingly, carelessly, absent-mindedly, on automatic pilotView synonyms
- ‘She was absently chewing her bottom lip and her eyes stared blankly into space.’
- ‘Gareth was holding my hands, absently brushing his thumbs back and forth like he always does.’
- ‘I stare absently at the pattern of the fabric on the seats, an angular blur of red, grey and blue.’
- ‘He sat up and looked at her, absently tapping the edge of the piano keys without making a sound.’
- ‘He kicked it absently as he made his way to the entrance, his arms folded over his torso, his teeth chattering from the biting cold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.