One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In an absent-minded way; vaguely.‘Keira toyed absently with her fork’
distractedly, inattentively, abstractedly, unheedingly, carelessly, absent-mindedly, on automatic pilotView synonyms
- ‘She was absently chewing her bottom lip and her eyes stared blankly into space.’
- ‘I stare absently at the pattern of the fabric on the seats, an angular blur of red, grey and blue.’
- ‘He kicked it absently as he made his way to the entrance, his arms folded over his torso, his teeth chattering from the biting cold.’
- ‘Gareth was holding my hands, absently brushing his thumbs back and forth like he always does.’
- ‘He sat up and looked at her, absently tapping the edge of the piano keys without making a sound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.