Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
forgetfulness, amnesia, poor memory, tendency to forget, lapse of memorydistractedness, preoccupation, inattentiveness, inattention, vagueness, abstraction, absence, absorption, engrossment, heedlessness, obliviousnesspensiveness, thoughtfulness, musing, broodingblonde momentView synonyms
- ‘Before you start to panic, there is a crucial difference between dementia and general absent-mindedness.’
- ‘In a fit of absent-mindedness, they had signed contracts that ran until 2004.’
- ‘It's frustrating for the audience, too, because his absent-mindedness prevents this seminar on the pharaohs making any progress.’
- ‘Forgetfulness tends to increase with age, but there's a big difference between normal absent-mindedness and the type of memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘He was known for occasional absent-mindedness in important situations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.