Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In excess of the expectations or demands of.‘she was always there to help us out in difficult times, above and beyond the call of duty’
- ‘And just ahead are our weekly tribute to a member of our Armed services who served above and beyond the call of duty.’
- ‘She said she appreciated their passion and their concern even above and beyond the official job.’
- ‘No words can do justice to their efficiency, thoroughness, and all-around human compassion above and beyond the call of duty.’
- ‘PFC Story distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action.’
- ‘She has been my campaign manager for three elections, and has served above and beyond the call of duty.’
- ‘With strong customer support, we plan to nurture the relationship of developer and gamer to levels above and beyond today's standards.’
- ‘And a fourth grade teacher goes above and beyond the call of duty to teach a student an unforgettable life lesson.’
- ‘Walters displayed skill and ingenuity above and beyond expectation.’
- ‘Additional awards followed, but only infrequently and then only to individuals for heroic acts on actual forest fires, acts above and beyond the call of duty.’
- ‘But officers who repeatedly exceed detection targets or perform above and beyond the call of duty could be in line for bonuses.’
- 1.1 In addition to.‘you might consider giving employees an extra day or two off each quarter, above and beyond sick days’
- ‘But graduating to better and better publications is hard without some work above and beyond turning in stories.’
- ‘But the use of spyware raises several legal issues, above and beyond the obvious violations of privacy such software encourages.’
- ‘If someone has to raise kids above and beyond that they need all the help they can get.’
- ‘But above and beyond these common threats, instant messaging and other chat programs carry their own unique set of risks.’
- ‘But recently, new forms of genomic variation have been appreciated above and beyond single nucleotide polymorphisms.’
- ‘If you want anything above and beyond this, you pay for it with your own money.’
- ‘But above and beyond everything, he had real class.’
- ‘One such disorder is a phobia, which involves fear and avoidance of a certain type of stimulus or event above and beyond what is rational.’
- ‘The airline did only what the FAA required even though going above and beyond would have been prudent.’
- ‘But above and beyond all is the evidence given of a desire to make good and live straight.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.