One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Better (or worse) than is usual or expected.‘poor nutrition can leave you feeling below par’
substandard, inferior, not up to standard, not up to scratch, under par, below average, lacking, wanting, second-rate, mediocre, middling, poor, bad, inadequate, unsatisfactory, uninspired, undistinguishedslightly unwell, not well, not very well, not oneself, not in good shape, out of sortsView synonyms
- ‘The sauce, which as you would expect is the key, is invariably under par.’
- ‘The jokes seemed to be aimed at an older audience, where as to me, the Simpsons movie felt below par and the jokes fairly stale.’
- ‘With the loss of some key players, the team looked distinctly under par.’
- ‘It will strike when its host suffers from a wound such as a small cut, a minor ailment such as a cold, or when the immune system is under par.’
- ‘Two years ago I was overweight, bloated, lacked energy, fell asleep early in the evenings and generally felt below par.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.