Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in printed text) denoting a point or idea previously stated.‘we should not abandon the above-stated democratic ideal’
previously mentioned, aforementioned, aforenamed, previously described, above, foregoing, preceding, precedent, earlier, previous, same, selfsameView synonyms
- ‘It is clear from the above-stated statistics that the presence of multinationals has not boosted the country's wealth creation objective.’
- ‘With the widespread acceptance of the above-stated theory it might be assumed that the case for it is rather strong.’
- ‘It also tends to lead them in a direction that is the opposite of much of the above-stated goals.’
- ‘Two fundamental faults can be identified in the above-stated government response.’
- ‘I had my questions translated to Punjabi and again sent them to the above-stated institutions.’
- ‘I believe the above-stated idea is actually true for most of the subjects I would discuss in this book.’
- ‘Scientists create such theories as they pursue the four above-stated aims.’
- ‘It is also observed in the above-stated plan that the Southeast District has only 41 acres.’
- ‘I'm not worried myself, because of the above-stated fact: most serious music fans still want to own the actual item.’
- ‘After having taken note of the above-stated request, the needed authorization is hereby granted.’
- ‘Del's refund claim was timely (within the above-stated period of three years and six months from the payment date) to recover his overpayments for both tax years 1999 and 2000.’
- ‘The Secretary of State is satisfied that your client's case falls outside of his above-stated policy.’
- ‘If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office at the above-stated address.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.