Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in printed text) denoting a person or thing previously mentioned.‘any of the above-named books will give the interested reader much more information’
foregoing, previous, prior, former, precursory, earlier, above, above-mentioned, aforementioned, above-stated, above-named, antecedentView synonyms
- ‘All of the above-named county officers appear to have been elected without opposition.’
- ‘While I was there, I got to chat with a top Hollywood agent who represents some of the above-named stars.’
- ‘Each of the above-named, wildly disparate authors has written at least one readable "nonfiction" book published in the last 10 years.’
- ‘The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) undertakes periodic surveys of consumer expenditures and provides additional detail in each of the above-named categories.’
- ‘For these reasons I have concluded that you are not vulnerable within Section 189 of the above-named legislation.’
- ‘You have noted that each of the above-named professionals keeps his gun on at all times.’
- ‘Michigan and Wisconsin have the largest population of Belgian Americans, with the above-named Wisconsin counties having the largest rural settlement in the United States.’
- ‘Any of the above-named books will give the interested reader much more information about ancient gods along this same line.’
- ‘The above-named samples were measured at the SLOWPOKE reactor lab at the University of Toronto over the period from 1979 to 1983.’
- ‘Those who do not qualify for one of the above-named Awards may be entitled to wear the NODA Commendation Award.’
- ‘These two board members will be appointed annually no later than October 1 by the above-named colleges.’
- ‘The precise names of the first two of the above-named companies vary between the defence of the fifth defendant and the evidence.’
- ‘From the time of Charlemagne the above-named German tribes lived under Frankish constitution retaining their own old laws, which Charlemagne codified.’
- ‘The above-named person was formerly employed as an E Grade Staff Nurse.’
- ‘This took the form of short-selling in the stocks of major companies in the above-named sectors, as well as firms with offices in the World Trade Center.’
- ‘Let's now turn our attention to the five major trends in aikido that are based on the teachings of the above-named instructors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.