Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The right of indigenous peoples to own their traditional lands and waters, as recognized by common law.‘the Supreme Court of Canada has said that there is an aboriginal title over some BC lands’
- ‘The court did not make any determination about which Indian groups hold aboriginal title to which areas.’
- ‘Aboriginal peoples were opposed because of the lack of consideration of its effect on Aboriginal title or Aboriginal self-governance.’
- ‘A group of loggers walked off the job for a day in show of support for Aboriginal title to the forests of Haida Gwai'i.’
- ‘Either under aboriginal title or the Treaty of Waitangi, any private rights must belong to the relevant Maori.’
- ‘The doctrine of aboriginal title is most frequently applied as a mechanism to resist dispossession of indigenous communities' ancestral lands.’
- ‘"It may push us into opposition because we have to protect our aboriginal title," chief Wilf Adam said.’
- ‘The decision recognized the Tsilhqot'in's right to aboriginal title over 1,750 square kilometres of territory in a case that began as a dispute over logging.’
- ‘The issue of aboriginal title has remained unresolved since colonisation.’
- ‘Recent court decisions have reaffirmed the legal requirement of governments and corporations to consult with First Nations on decisions affecting aboriginal title.’
- ‘The bill is widely considered to be an interim measure until aboriginal title and self-government issues are settled across Canada.’
- ‘For a claim of aboriginal title to succeed, a claimant Indian group must show that it is the successor to the Indian group that held the title in 1846.’
- ‘The offshore oil issue is further complicated by unresolved aboriginal title.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.