Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A kind of clinometer consisting of a sighting tube, spirit level, and graduated scale.
- ‘If you don't want to buy an Abney level and you wish to be accurate, you can use a homemade Boudreaux Level you can make from an art protractor from Wall-mart.’
- ‘They will also learn how to use an Abney level to measure tree height.’
- ‘The equipment used for monitoring includes Abney levels, ranging roles, tape measure and datasheets.’
- ‘Participants will get hands on experience working with laser levels, hand levels, Abney levels and Clinometers.’
- ‘The equipment used consists of hand held Abney levels, tape measures and ranging poles.’
Late 19th century: named after Sir William Abney (1844–1920), English scientist.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.