One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of clinometer consisting of a sighting tube, spirit level, and graduated scale.
- ‘Participants will get hands on experience working with laser levels, hand levels, Abney levels and Clinometers.’
- ‘They will also learn how to use an Abney level to measure tree height.’
- ‘The equipment used consists of hand held Abney levels, tape measures and ranging poles.’
- ‘The equipment used for monitoring includes Abney levels, ranging roles, tape measure and datasheets.’
- ‘If you don't want to buy an Abney level and you wish to be accurate, you can use a homemade Boudreaux Level you can make from an art protractor from Wall-mart.’
Late 19th century: named after Sir William Abney (1844–1920), English scientist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.