Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A kind of clinometer consisting of a sighting tube, spirit level, and graduated scale.
- ‘The equipment used for monitoring includes Abney levels, ranging roles, tape measure and datasheets.’
- ‘The equipment used consists of hand held Abney levels, tape measures and ranging poles.’
- ‘If you don't want to buy an Abney level and you wish to be accurate, you can use a homemade Boudreaux Level you can make from an art protractor from Wall-mart.’
- ‘Participants will get hands on experience working with laser levels, hand levels, Abney levels and Clinometers.’
- ‘They will also learn how to use an Abney level to measure tree height.’
Late 19th century: named after Sir William Abney (1844–1920), English scientist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.