Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Discrimination in favour of able-bodied people.‘we were fed up with the ableism of the women's movement’
prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanshipView synonyms
- ‘As Suzanne Pharr points out, ‘it is virtually impossible to view one oppression… in isolation because they are all connected: sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism, ageism ‘.’
- ‘Nor was this movement particularly interested in challenging racism, classism, anti-Semitism, ageism, ableism or fatphobia.’
- ‘It is arguable that other forms of oppression, such as gender oppression, sexism, ableism, ageism, etc., are also produced by capitalism.’
- ‘It is important to realize that women with disabilities often don't conform to the stereotypes of a ‘good’ woman, wife, and/or mother and so experience both ableism and sexism simultaneously.’
- ‘Some of these issues include infanticide, child abuse, incest, forced marriage, marital rape, classism, ableism, and sexism.’
- ‘Organizers have dedicated Friday to this year's symposium, which will link sexual diversity with other forms of multicultural diversity and will address homophobia, racism, discrimination and ableism.’
- ‘The noble motive of Elliott and Vasquez is to end racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, and heterosexism… just about every type of nonPC ‘ism’ in existence.’
- ‘Either the reader must identify with the narrator and share her/his view that ableism and sexism are hurting people who need health care, or she/he must find a way to dismiss the story.’
- ‘She believes that classes in children's and young adult literature must include works that discuss racism, classism, ableism, sexism, and homophobia; otherwise, discriminatory attitudes will not change.’
- ‘We were placed in workshops where we'd have to face issues of diversity across a wide gamut, forcing us to develop an understanding of women's issues, homophobia and heterosexism, ableism.’
- ‘Overall, Eva's function in the narrative clearly exceeds that of foil to the interlocking systems Thomson lists as ‘racism, sexism, ableism and classism’.’
- ‘Their issues-which still are all women's issues-are very much entrenched in institutional oppression feeding off racism, sexism, classism, ageism and ableism.’
- ‘Please try not to promote ableism within the pages of your ‘progressive’ newsjournal, especially after you have shown that you know better.’
- ‘I find it very disturbing that a pregnant woman's wish for a healthy child is being redefined as being an expression of ableism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.