One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Abkhazia, its people, or their language.
- ‘The apparent end of the Abkhaz election crisis should pave the way for resuming talks with Georgia on settling the territorial conflict.’
- ‘There was little in Georgian or Abkhaz national mythology to explain the depth of hatred that arose during the conflict there.’
- ‘The Abkhaz coast appears, fringed with palms, oleanders and groves of eucalyptus trees planted long ago by the Russians to dry out the malarial marshes.’
- ‘Their peacekeepers actively aided the advance of Abkhaz troops.’
- ‘Abkhaz and Ossetian leaders were immediately summoned to Moscow for consultations.’
- ‘In the northwest, members of the Abkhaz ethnic group asserted their right to self-determination.’
- ‘At the time of writing, neither the Abkhaz nor the Ossetian conflicts have been resolved.’
- ‘It is true that the military channelled logistical support to Abkhaz separatists during the war.’
- ‘He claimed he would ‘do his utmost to peacefully settle the Abkhaz conflict.’’
- ‘His death has sparked concerns among South Ossetian and Abkhaz leaders.’
- ‘The Abkhaz separatist dispute also continues to absorb much of the government's attention.’
- ‘They hope Russia will put pressure on the Abkhaz and South Ossetian leaderships to give up their quest for independence.’
1A member of a people living mainly in Abkhazia.
- ‘Georgian forces were driven out during fierce fighting that killed thousands of ethnic Abkhaz and Georgians.’
- ‘No one has been able to offer anything attractive enough to woo the South Ossetians and Abkhaz into a unified country.’
- ‘However, among the Abkhaz and Ossetians, tension and radical nationalism after the disintegration of the Soviet Union led to civil wars.’
- ‘The texts have been taken from four of the ethnic groups who possess Nart sagas: the Adyges, the Abazas, the Abkhaz and the Ubykhs.’
- ‘He added, ‘No one asked Ossetians and the Abkhaz whether they want to stay in Georgia.’’
- ‘They were represented on the flag by green and white stripes: four greens for the Muslims (Circassians, Balkars, Chechens, Daghestan) and three whites for the Christians (the Abkhaz, Kabards, Ossetians).’
- ‘In 1993 he and his men had helped the inexperienced Abkhaz to capture Abkhazia's capital.’
2mass noun The North Caucasian language of the Abkhaz.
- ‘Most Abkhazians are ethnic Abkhazes and their first language is Abkhaz, though they speak Russian as well.’
- ‘The Abkhaz texts were translated by George Hewitt from their original language.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.