One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Swear an oath to leave a country forever.‘prior to transportation, offenders were sometimes permitted to abjure the realm’
- ‘The severity of the law was modified by a felon's right to abjure the realm if he succeeded in reaching the sanctuary of a church.’
- ‘He would be sentenced to abjure the realm or suffer death as a felon.’
- ‘The fair Agnes also confessed to her share in the crime of passion, and the lovers eventually abjured the realm.’
- ‘Adam and the others fled to the Church of Branscombe, confessed their crime, and abjured the realm before the coroner.’
- ‘Even while abjurations were in force, such a criminal was not allowed to take sanctuary and abjure the realm.’
- ‘If the accused would neither submit to trial nor abjure the realm after 40 days, he was starved into submission.’
- ‘There he admitted his deed and abjured the realm.’
- ‘Gilbert confessed before the coroner and abjured the realm, but Simon was found not guilty.’
- ‘They fled to the church of Petherton and abjured the realm.’
- ‘Within the time fixed by law and custom, he abjured the realm, proposing to leave the country by the port of Dover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.