One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Swear an oath to leave a country forever.‘prior to transportation, offenders were sometimes permitted to abjure the realm’
- ‘Adam and the others fled to the Church of Branscombe, confessed their crime, and abjured the realm before the coroner.’
- ‘The severity of the law was modified by a felon's right to abjure the realm if he succeeded in reaching the sanctuary of a church.’
- ‘Even while abjurations were in force, such a criminal was not allowed to take sanctuary and abjure the realm.’
- ‘If the accused would neither submit to trial nor abjure the realm after 40 days, he was starved into submission.’
- ‘Gilbert confessed before the coroner and abjured the realm, but Simon was found not guilty.’
- ‘Within the time fixed by law and custom, he abjured the realm, proposing to leave the country by the port of Dover.’
- ‘There he admitted his deed and abjured the realm.’
- ‘He would be sentenced to abjure the realm or suffer death as a felon.’
- ‘The fair Agnes also confessed to her share in the crime of passion, and the lovers eventually abjured the realm.’
- ‘They fled to the church of Petherton and abjured the realm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.