One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An East Asian shrub of the honeysuckle family, typically having small tubular pink or white flowers.
Genus Abelia, family Caprifoliaceae
- ‘Protect garden beds exposed to the wind with a hedge of glossy abelia.’
- ‘The glossy abelia, a hybrid derived from species native to China, is the most commonly cultivated form.’
- ‘First, it was the abelia that got a careful pruning to encourage it to arch over the steps to the front door.’
- ‘Cut leafless stems of rose and abelia into 10-inch lengths and set them directly in the propagation bed or container.’
- ‘Summer- and fall-blooming shrubs include such plants as abelia, beautyberry, butterfly bush, rose of Sharon, crepe myrtle and summersweet.’
Modern Latin; named after Clarke Abel (1780–1826), English botanist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.