One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The part of the body of a vertebrate containing the digestive and reproductive organs; the belly.
stomach, belly, gut, middle, midriff, intestinesView synonyms
- ‘This involves the removal of the gallbladder under general anaesthetic through a larger cut in the abdomen.’
- ‘The patient, a father of four from a town near Haifa, had the artificial ventricle inserted into his abdomen.’
- ‘Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.’
- ‘Girls with ovarian tumors may have abdominal pain and masses that can be felt in the abdomen.’
- ‘The midwife or doctor may use a device placed on the abdomen to amplify the heartbeat.’
- ‘The main sign of an aortic aneurysm is a lump in the abdomen, high up and a little to the right, that pulses obviously with the heartbeat.’
- ‘A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.’
- ‘In fact, I just saw an ad for a Sauna Belt that makes you lose an inch on your abdomen in about a half hour.’
- ‘The colon is the large intestine or lower bowel and sits in the abdomen, forming the last part of the digestive tract.’
- ‘Being overweight puts more pressure on the abdomen and the valve in the gullet.’
- ‘Debulking surgery left appreciable disease in the abdomen and a malignant pleural effusion.’
- ‘Abdominal pain concurrent with nausea points to the abdomen as the source of nausea.’
- ‘In some instances, a tight belt or other poorly fitted clothing can cause nerve root irritation, especially in physically unfit persons with protuberant abdomens.’
- ‘This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.’
- ‘It has been compared to magic fingers which reach into the interior of the abdomen and massage your organs.’
- ‘The pain develops quickly, and may also occur in the abdomen, and the scrotal skin discolours.’
- ‘It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.’
- ‘The hernia is pushed back through the gap into its proper place inside the abdomen and the gap is then closed with stitches.’
- ‘X-ray pictures of the abdomen can then show what is going on inside the bowel.’
- ‘The surgeon will make a cut in your lower abdomen and remove your appendix.’
- 1.1Zoology The hinder part of the body of an arthropod, especially the segments of an insect's body behind the thorax.
- ‘It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.’
- ‘Females with eggs attached to their abdomens were transferred from the stock tanks to the female tank.’
- ‘Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.’
- ‘Prior to metamorphosis, the caterpillars pack together and suspend themselves by the tips of their abdomens from the inner walls.’
- ‘When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.