Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The part of the body of a vertebrate containing the digestive and reproductive organs; the belly.
stomach, belly, gut, middle, midriff, intestinestummy, tum, insides, guts, corporation, maw, breadbasket, pot, paunchbingyView synonyms
- ‘X-ray pictures of the abdomen can then show what is going on inside the bowel.’
- ‘This involves the removal of the gallbladder under general anaesthetic through a larger cut in the abdomen.’
- ‘In some instances, a tight belt or other poorly fitted clothing can cause nerve root irritation, especially in physically unfit persons with protuberant abdomens.’
- ‘The pain develops quickly, and may also occur in the abdomen, and the scrotal skin discolours.’
- ‘The colon is the large intestine or lower bowel and sits in the abdomen, forming the last part of the digestive tract.’
- ‘The main sign of an aortic aneurysm is a lump in the abdomen, high up and a little to the right, that pulses obviously with the heartbeat.’
- ‘The patient, a father of four from a town near Haifa, had the artificial ventricle inserted into his abdomen.’
- ‘Being overweight puts more pressure on the abdomen and the valve in the gullet.’
- ‘Girls with ovarian tumors may have abdominal pain and masses that can be felt in the abdomen.’
- ‘Debulking surgery left appreciable disease in the abdomen and a malignant pleural effusion.’
- ‘It has been compared to magic fingers which reach into the interior of the abdomen and massage your organs.’
- ‘Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.’
- ‘This is a long thin instrument with a light source at its tip, to light up the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.’
- ‘The hernia is pushed back through the gap into its proper place inside the abdomen and the gap is then closed with stitches.’
- ‘Abdominal pain concurrent with nausea points to the abdomen as the source of nausea.’
- ‘The midwife or doctor may use a device placed on the abdomen to amplify the heartbeat.’
- ‘In fact, I just saw an ad for a Sauna Belt that makes you lose an inch on your abdomen in about a half hour.’
- ‘The surgeon will make a cut in your lower abdomen and remove your appendix.’
- ‘A high bowel obstruction will have a few dilated loops of small bowel in the abdomen.’
- ‘It is quite common to develop a vertical, pigmented line on the skin of the abdomen below the belly button, which fades later.’
- 1.1Zoology The hinder part of the body of an arthropod, especially the segments of an insect's body behind the thorax.
- ‘Prior to metamorphosis, the caterpillars pack together and suspend themselves by the tips of their abdomens from the inner walls.’
- ‘Attacked bees often have deformed wings and abdomens and a shortened life span.’
- ‘When they get peckish, the queens wag their abdomens across their nests, creating vibrations that ‘ask’ for a nutritious saliva snack.’
- ‘Females with eggs attached to their abdomens were transferred from the stock tanks to the female tank.’
- ‘It has three pairs of true legs on the thorax and five pairs of fleshy prolegs on the abdomen.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.