One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Nervous anxiety or irritation.‘that idea gives most lawyers the screaming abdabs’
- ‘The thought of that could give her the screaming abdabs if she dwelled on it.’
- ‘He goes into prison (the cameraman had the abdabs) to interview the much feared mogul, who is polite and tells him nothing.’
- ‘I'm not superstitious, but the whole area gave me a case of the screaming abdabs, something Awful and EVIL had happened nearby.’
- ‘As long as they continue to keep out of my kitchen cupboards and bed I won't have the screaming abdabs.’
- ‘These are the nightmare scenarios that have caused me to wake with the screaming abdabs over the past month.’
1940s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.