One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The alphabet.‘millions of children every year learn how to say their ABC’lettersView synonyms
- 1.1 An alphabetical guide.‘an ABC of British locomotives’
- 1.1 An alphabetical guide.
2The rudiments of a subject.‘the business had been learning the ABC of its trade’basic principles, basics, fundamentals, elements, essentials, first principlesView synonyms
as easy as ABC
Extremely easy or straightforward.‘economics can be as simple as ABC’
simple, not difficult, straightforward, clear, accessible, direct, undemanding, unexacting, unchallenging, unsophisticated, trouble-free, painless, effortless, easy, facile, elementary, idiot-proof, plain sailing, a five-finger exercise, nothingView synonyms
- ‘To them, preventing HIV infection is as simple as ABC - A for Abstinence, B for Being faithful and C for Condoms.’
- ‘The campaign won't be as easy as ABC for the youngsters, but he is determined to put them at their ease.’
- ‘‘If life was as simple as ABC or 123, there wouldn't be that frown on your face,’ an unfamiliar voice sounded behind her.’
- ‘Being a woman and staying healthy is not, it turns out, as easy as ABC.’
- ‘Signals are as easy as ABC for the trader with the right tools and know-how.’
- ‘She says teaching children to read is as easy as ABC.’
- ‘The dazzler was John, for whom kindness and consideration towards his customers in the restaurant is as easy as ABC.’
- ‘With our new guide, CPU overclocking will be as easy as ABC!’
- ‘The pop quiz was as simple as ABC.’
- ‘The website makes comparing and switching as easy as ABC.’
1American Broadcasting Company.
2Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
An American-born person of Chinese descent.‘like many ABCs, his identity is a tapestry’
- ‘Though some ABCs want to be recognized as "real Chinese," I don't.’
- ‘I'm a little surprised when an ABC has bad grammar.’
- ‘If it has taught us one central lesson, it may well be that the world known as Chinese America is populated with all of us - women, men, FOBs, and ABCs - and together we can better achieve our vision for tomorrow.’
Relating to or denoting American-born people of Chinese descent.‘some ABC parents send their children to Chinese language schools’
- ‘I have an ABC friend who speaks much worse Chinese than me, but nobody pushes her to switch to English when they talk with her.’
- ‘David said he was ABC, American Born Chinese.’
1970s: from the initial letters of American-born Chinese.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.