One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the first Palaeolithic culture in Europe, now usually referred to as the Lower Acheulian.
- ‘The researchers identified in the cave three different ancient human cultures: Acheulean, Abbevillian, and Mousterian.’
- ‘Extensive archeological finds of obsidian instruments roughly fashioned by the primitive man indicate ancient human settlements in Armenia, dating back to the Old Stone Age (Abbevillian culture) and further onwards.’
- ‘Subdivisions of the Paleolithic include the: Lower Paleolithic (Oldowan, Clactonian, Abbevillian, Acheulean), Middle Paleolithic, the time of the hand axe-industries and Upper Paleolithic (Châtelperronian, Aurignacian, Solutrean, Gravettian, Magdalenian).’
- ‘Early Acheulian or Abbevillian begins in Karnataka around 1.5 million years ago and advance Acheulian continues up to 15 million years ago at Patpara in Son Valley.’
- 1.1as noun the Abbevillian The Abbevillian culture or period.
1930s: from French Abbevillien ‘from Abbeville’, a town in northern France where tools from this culture were discovered.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.