One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to an abbey, abbot, or abbess.‘a possible abbatial vacancy’
- ‘The wonder-working tour on which the monks sent their new relics certainly helped raise funds for their new abbatial church.’
- ‘‘You know,’ came a patrician, abbatial voice from the back of the room, ‘I rather think we've got his head’.’
- ‘Visiting the abbey at Monte Cassino, Morris removed his abbatial cross as a sign of humility.’
- ‘Prussia formed a state domain at Eberbach, from its abbatial estates throughout the Rheingau.’
- ‘The boundaries were blurred to the extent that some kings themselves held episcopal or abbatial office.’
Late 17th century: from medieval Latin abbatialis, from abbas, abbat- (see abbot).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.