One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A full-length, sleeveless outer garment worn by some Muslim women.
- ‘They looked like ghosts with the wind whipping around their abayas.’
- ‘In public, most Omani women wear a black ankle-length robe called an abaya, and many veil their faces.’
- ‘The abaya she wears cannot hide the shaking of her body as waves of grief roll through her.’
- ‘We accept these elections now,’ says Asadi, pulling the abaya close over his shoulders.’
- ‘The women of the family swept her up in warm embraces, almost causing her to disappear in the flurry of abayas.’
- ‘Women tend to wear very colorful long-sleeved, ankle-length dresses, with a black silk cloak called an abaya covering them completely in public.’
- ‘When we ventured into town to visit the souk, my cousin's wife was required to wear an abaya, a shapeless, full-length black cape.’
- ‘You must wear a black cloak and veil that's called an abaya when you leave the palace, to protect your modesty.’
- ‘An all-enveloping black abaya is made from lightweight cloth embroidered with tapestried threads.’
- ‘I got my abaya and hijab out of my bag, putting them on before I left the plane as I'd been advised.’
- ‘Saudi women don a billowy black cloak called an abaya, along with a black scarf and veil over the face.’
- ‘There were 79 women, 11 with heads uncovered, the rest split between headscarves and black flowing abayas.’
- ‘In public, all women are required to wear the abaya, a black garment that covers them from head to foot.’
- ‘Small flocks of mangy goats and sheep, shepherded by women in flowing black abayas, forage in the trash.’
- ‘I imagine that under the abaya they wear designer clothes.’
- ‘With a simple twist of her abaya, the black robe that sometimes covers her body or head, she rapidly shifts among her range of characters under the distracting sound of booming music.’
- ‘Most wore an enveloping black abaya or a head scarf over their hair.’
Mid 19th century: from Arabic ‘abāya.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.