Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action or fact of abasing or being abased; humiliation or degradation.
humility, humbleness, humiliation, belittlement, lowering, degradation, disgrace, mortificationView synonyms
- ‘Throughout history a doffed hat has symbolized defeat, humility and abasement before one's betters.’
- ‘She allows us to examine our own appetites for public abasement without feeling guilty.’
- ‘Perhaps what takes Hamlet so much time in the play is that a ritual of abasement needs to performed.’
- ‘It is not so much an abasement of self as an acknowledgment that one's own way may not be the only or even the best way.’
- ‘I beg that someone will recognise my abasement and meet my very human but mutually exclusive needs.’
- ‘Welcome to the complete and total abasement of our Party.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.