One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or fact of abasing or being abased; humiliation or degradation.
humility, humbleness, humiliation, belittlement, lowering, degradation, disgrace, mortificationView synonyms
- ‘Throughout history a doffed hat has symbolized defeat, humility and abasement before one's betters.’
- ‘She allows us to examine our own appetites for public abasement without feeling guilty.’
- ‘Welcome to the complete and total abasement of our Party.’
- ‘I beg that someone will recognise my abasement and meet my very human but mutually exclusive needs.’
- ‘Perhaps what takes Hamlet so much time in the play is that a ritual of abasement needs to performed.’
- ‘It is not so much an abasement of self as an acknowledgment that one's own way may not be the only or even the best way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.