One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or fact of abandoning or being abandoned.‘she had a feeling of utter abandonment and loneliness’
desertion, neglect, strandingdisuse, evacuation, neglectrenunciation, relinquishment, rejection, withdrawal, dropping, cessation, discontinuation, termination, stopping, surrender, dispensationView synonyms
- ‘More conservative critics found the root of his decline in his abandonment of religious faith.’
- ‘The meeting may be the only National Hunt racing in Britain this weekend, with abandonments likely elsewhere due to the weather.’
- ‘With the economic collapse came the abandonment of hundreds of businesses by their owners.’
- ‘He was rejected and outcast, and like Job, accepted his suffering and abandonment.’
- ‘Expediency often involves the abandonment of war's more high-sounding objectives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.