Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A black-striped nocturnal African mammal that feeds mainly on termites.
- ‘Aardvarks and aardwolves have this typical eutherian construction.’
- ‘The four extant hyena species (spotted hyena, striped hyena, brown hyena, and aardwolf) are the remnants of a large radiation.’
- ‘For example, carnivorous mammals' descendants that now shun meat include bamboo-eating pandas and termite-slurping aardwolves.’
- ‘Even if pangolins are the sister group of carnivores, aardwolves are well nested within Carnivora in the family Hyaenidae.’
- ‘The aardwolf is a undoubted termite specialist, lapping up exposed workers assembled along foraging trails.’
Mid 19th century: from South African Dutch, from aarde earth + wolf wolf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.