One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blank or serious facial expression, especially when trying not to laugh.‘my father kept a straight face when he joked’
- ‘It is hardly believable that a human could continue to say the things he does with a straight face.’
- ‘Crawford managed to keep a straight face while he said all this.’
- ‘But I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face, thanks to the first book I'm trying to review.’
- ‘In fact, he says it was all he could do to keep a straight face.’
- ‘He somehow managed to keep a straight face when he told her the fake name.’
- ‘We honestly don't know how he can say these things with a straight face.’
- ‘When I heard this, it was a strain for me to keep a straight face, because seriously, the idea is laughable!’
- ‘Somehow he manages to get that out with a straight face; how he does this, I will never know.’
- ‘He said it with such a straight face that the nurse believed him, and she nearly burst a blood vessel.’
- ‘Sophia was able to keep a straight face for about ten seconds before bursting into laughter.’
- ‘What normal sane person could mouth such phrases with a straight face?’
- ‘What is truly stunning is that he can make such a claim with a straight face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.