One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Congratulations or commendations.‘they deserve a hearty slap on the back for their efforts’
congratulations, commendation, approbation, approval, accolades, encomiums, compliments, tributes, a pat on the back, praise, acclaim, acclamation, a round of applauseView synonyms
- ‘(And please give our foreign editors a slap on the back here for success in acculturation).’
- ‘Each and every one of them deserves a big slap on the back.’
- ‘What's more, while an increase of 29% in operating cash flow deserves a hearty slap on the back, it's easier to report good quarters when the bar is lower.’
- ‘Grandpa gave him a complimentary slap on the back.’
- ‘Fox has done a nice job on this transfer and deserves a hearty slap on the back.’
- ‘After getting congratulated with a slap on the back, he returns to his sister with a grin.’
- ‘The Grammys are the annual slap on the back for the American music industry.’
- ‘For a Cockney sparrow, Jim Howard has flown very far and high - and done it all with a laugh and a friendly slap on the back on the way.’
- ‘What was meant to be a kick has become a slap on the back.’
- ‘A high-five or a slap on the back can mean everything.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.