One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to ask someone what they are thinking about.
- ‘So, a penny for your thoughts here: what criteria, if any, should be applied in selecting names?’
- ‘I haven't heard anyone say that for years - a penny for your thoughts.’
- ‘Next time someone offers you a penny for your thoughts… sell!’
- ‘When did the phrase "a penny for your thoughts" originate?’
- ‘It's in this book that we find the earliest known citation of the line, "A penny for your thoughts."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.