One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sexual conquest, typically one of many.‘I didn't want to be another notch on his bedpost’
catch, acquisition, captive, prize, slaveView synonyms
- ‘His was not the kiss of a callow adolescent or a selfish boy bent on earning a notch on his bedpost for being the first to defrost her.’
- ‘She turns away again and I can see that she is carving a notch on a bedpost.’
- ‘It's a "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" man's view of solving a problem, equating having babies with all the emotional intelligence of a quick shag and a notch on the bedpost.’
- ‘Having a great sex life isn't about following trends or carving notches on bedposts.’
- ‘Her most famous novel has apparently garnered her a host of adoring, young male fans desperate to collect her autograph and become a notch on her well-scarred bedpost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.