One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very quickly.‘he talks a mile a minute’
quickly, fast, swiftly, speedily, at speed, at full speed, at the speed of light, post-haste, hotfoot, at full tilt, as fast as one's legs can carry one, at a gallop, expeditiously, briskly, promptlyView synonyms
- ‘The admiral stared at the blank screen for a few more minutes, his mind whirling a mile a minute.’
- ‘She reappeared just as quickly, talking a mile a minute.’
- ‘Anna was breathing fast, and her heart was racing a mile a minute.’
- ‘Thousands of emotions were rushing through my body a mile a minute.’
- ‘From his home in Prince Edward Island, words spill out at a mile a minute as he describes his life as a fiddler and stepdancer.’
- ‘Within minutes, Scott had Ellie talking a mile a minute about everything she could think of.’
- ‘He appears in many of the films just as he is in person - talking a mile a minute from behind thick glasses, his tongue working overtime to keep up with the rapid-fire messages from his brain.’
- ‘Apparently, he pulled the ‘nicknames’ out of his head a mile a minute.’
- ‘Right now, he's shooting his mouth off a mile a minute on his mobile.’
- ‘And we've got to wonder, if you're able to talk a mile a minute on the ground, how do you calculate the speed of speech at cruising altitude?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.