One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of cleaning or washing something in a hasty manner.‘she would give a lick and a promise to her parlour, and sit down to await the American gentleman’
- ‘Wobbling into the bathroom, she picked up her toothbrush and gave her teeth a lick and a promise.’
- ‘Is one's spiritual life really satisfied with a lick and a promise?’
- ‘Generally, players sign balls with a lick and a promise.’
- ‘Look at the way you skip from chore to chore, always doing everything with a lick and a promise.’
- ‘The global fiat currency is based on nothing more than a lick and a promise and long-term it's headed toward complete restructuring.’
- ‘The chow's coat requires more than a lick and a promise from the chow's owner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.