One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A huge amount of money.‘perfume which cost a king's ransom per ounce’
- ‘While showering Taylor with jewels worth a king's ransom, he also gave generously to friends such as Smith.’
- ‘How did I acquire a king's ransom in paper currency?’
- ‘All of a sudden Muriel got her handbag and went up to him and gave him a king's ransom.’
- ‘There have been reports both in this country and Australia suggesting that we were about to pay a king's ransom.’
- ‘A friend lost a king's ransom and asked me to look into the circumstances, and what I found was disturbing.’
- ‘It is hardly a king's ransom, but it could make all the difference.’
- ‘While these industry titans get paid a king's ransom whether they succeed or fail, job security is a thing of the past.’
- ‘The President had no option but to dissolve the House and order a mid-term poll which cost the exchequer a king's ransom.’
- ‘Not a single person in our hospital makes a king's ransom.’
- ‘At the time, I thought we had paid a king's ransom for the place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.