One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A difficult task.‘the team have a hard row to hoe to get back to the top’
- ‘It didn't take me very long to realize that making even a modest living as an artist was a tough row to hoe!’
- ‘Even though the burden of proof is on the prosecution, the reality is that when one side presents emotional, detailed stories, the defense has a hard row to hoe.’
- ‘Real estate can be a tough row to hoe for first-time homebuyers.’
- ‘‘They already have a tough row to hoe at this point, just to preserve, contain and keep their audience content,’ Maio says.’
- ‘I'm beginning to get the feeling that if we had control freak parents we have a tough row to hoe when relating to others and particularly our own children.’
- ‘When my older brother went off to college and had to manage without her cooking, it was a tough row to hoe for him.’
- ‘With a kid, there are always so many little GI Joe army boots and stray Lego pieces and art projects lying around, it's a tough row to hoe to keep things tidy.’
- ‘You have a tough row to hoe and still need to be a source of stability for your son.’
- ‘I see the film studio having a tough row to hoe with this.’
- ‘Well, it's a long story, but to shorten it up: first-time novelists have a tough row to hoe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.