One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large number.‘a good many of us’
- ‘Some people may indeed be educated but a great many more will be excited while others will be frightened and disturbed.’
- ‘With his encouragement and praise, a great many of his friends and family learned to water-ski.’
- ‘While she was never married and had no children of her own, she mothered a great many.’
- ‘He may feel that they have suffered great injustice, which a great many of them have.’
- ‘So strong is the state of mind that a great many of the acts of bias, perhaps the majority of them, are quite unconscious.’
- ‘The problem is that while there are a great many of them, they simply don't spend money like young people do.’
- ‘Johnson then went on to echo the thoughts of a great many at the time, even if their celebrations have proven a tad premature.’
- ‘Of course, a great many of today's top entertainment types started out in street theatre.’
- ‘I am sure that a great many of Wiltshire's citizens would be interested to hear if any positive action is to be taken.’
- ‘It was completely inadequate and I'm going to make a great many more of them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.