One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A particularly unpleasant or difficult situation or thing.‘this heat's a fair cow’
source of annoyance, source of irritation, annoyance, inconvenience, bore, bother, irritant, problem, difficulty, trouble, trial, burdenView synonyms
- ‘Two of the quarries were in fair situations but the third was a fair cow.’
- ‘"A fair cow, mate. Never been so embarrassed in my life."’
- ‘Bruce was right; this country's a fair cow!’
- ‘This is a fair cow of a day—with a violent dust-storm, flies, and heat.’
- ‘It will be a fair cow if he tracks us down up here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.