One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A completely different type of person or thing from the one previously mentioned.‘he's certainly a different kettle of fish from old Rowell’
- ‘To have an estate worth a million dollars is nowadays not too difficult to achieve with fixed assets and enough life assurance, but to be a living cash millionaire is a different kettle of fish for most of us.’
- ‘But in France - the grape's homeland - Pinot Gris is made into a wine that's altogether a different kettle of fish.’
- ‘While Gershwin, Porter and Berlin are as famous as the songs they wrote, Arlen is a different kettle of fish.’
- ‘When it comes to larger mills with decent internal sorting capacities, or multi-mill operations, log sorting is a different kettle of fish.’
- ‘I had netting up to stop herons getting in but the otter is a different kettle of fish and has got through the netting.’
- ‘Going all the way and winning the title is of course a different kettle of fish and a challenge I would suspect that is beyond them for a while yet.’
- ‘This weblog with its proud archives is quite a different kettle of fish and a new experience for me socially.’
- ‘We cannot forget what happened 50 years ago, but things are now a different kettle of fish.’
- ‘What's increasingly apparent, too, is that Penn the director is a different kettle of fish to Penn the actor.’
- ‘A business PC is a different kettle of fish, and many will be surprised to find that a standard 20GB drive is generous enough for the majority of users.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.