Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A situation that is completely different from a previous one:‘making the film was a whole new ball game for her’
- ‘If the government tries that trick, then we're in a whole new ball game.’
- ‘Then we're in a whole new ball game and all bets are off: for the next few minutes, ‘Best Picture’ is suddenly wide open.’
- ‘Now if they are suddenly wronged or something derogatory is said about them, as in Faldo's case, then it is a whole new ball game.’
- ‘I think when the Lennons were there, it was a different ball game.’
- ‘She's very wary of him, George, this interview is a whole new ball game from the one with Podge earlier on.’
- ‘Once you start changing the whole ecosystem, the community structures and sizes, you've got a whole new ball game.’
- ‘That policy has been effective for more than 25 years, but now that the megacity's suburban councillors are making decisions for the central city, it's a new ball game.’
- ‘I know it's going to be very different when I go out on the market, which I will probably be doing soon, but I know it's going to be a whole new ball game.’
- ‘I have no children of my own so this is a whole new ball game for me.’
- ‘However, the introduction of politics, instead of safety concerns, as grounds for reasonable refusal is a whole new ball game.’
- ‘Once you put your foot on a links, golf is a whole new ball game.’
- ‘‘This was a whole new ball game and a whole new lifestyle,’ he said later.’
- ‘The new-style number plates have opened up a whole new ball game for collectors of personalised registrations.’
- ‘And when you can slip on a headset and enjoy a lively shared experience in the comfort of your own home, well, that's a whole new ball game.’
- ‘However the young filmmaker's second film ‘Little Terrorist’ was a different ball game altogether.’
- ‘I think if he does, he's starting a whole new ball game as far as setting a precedent.’
- ‘Slowly the ratings shifted, and again it was a new ball game, and WCW's decreased production quality and management issues cause a major change.’
- ‘For manager Billy Harty its very much a new ball game, and I suspect he will experience just how tough it can, and will, be over the coming months.’
- ‘Now there is a whole new ball game and it is very tactful stuff.’
- ‘Just as we were figuring out how to deal with ‘Cold War America’ the world changed and ‘Global America’ is going to be a whole new ball game.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.