One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
with negative Any money or assets at all.‘she hasn't got two brass farthings to rub together’
- ‘The chances are that quite a bit of the same fish was taken from within the Irish fishing boundary and without a brass farthing to Ireland.’
- ‘Not a bean, not a brass farthing, have I added to my original donation.’
- ‘But the reality is that most of the time music composers and lyricists are not paid a brass farthing by those who make use of their creations.’
- ‘One advantage of the private sector is that I've been schooled not to spend a brass farthing until we know we can get a return.’
- ‘One bunch of crooks are suing the other bunch of crooks or something like that - I wouldn't trust any of them with a brass farthing, let alone our currency.’
- ‘The inheritance is almost gone now, since she never invested a brass farthing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.