Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An emaciated person or animal.‘the pony is just a bag of bones’
nag, inferior horse, tired-out horse, worn-out horse, rosinanteView synonyms
- ‘The young cat is fatter the old cat is a bag of bones, but happy.’
- ‘Personally I don't find bodies that are a bag of bones attractive.’
- ‘Brooke said carrying the dog was "like carrying a bag of bones down the hill."’
- ‘She was so pretty and he was just a bag of bones that forgot to stop walking about.’
- ‘A dog owner told a court how his pet was 'just a bag of bones' when he went to collect him from boarding kennels.’
- ‘While confined to a wheelchair just a few months ago and "just a bag of bones," Adams has gained 25 lb.’
- ‘It's easy, almost convenient, to forget that my cadaver is a man, not just a bag of bones and skin and connective tissue glued together with embalming fluid.’
- ‘I'm just a bag of bones, drifting like a large, hyper-evolved amoeba from stimulus to stimulus.’
- ‘He's a bag of bones, he's not terribly pretty, and he was labeled "fractious" on his very first day at the pound.’
- ‘It was just a bag of bones which could barely stand it was so weak.’
- ‘At least she's not a bag of bones and is cuter than Lohan, Barton, Bosworth, ect, ect.’
- ‘It seems like too much energy for a bag of bones /And for the lucky souls /Waters wash away the cobwebs’
- ‘You got me specially tailored-made clothing, so I would not feel so depressed being just a bag of bones.’
- ‘If it hadn't been for the campaign these 90 kilogram women would have been a bag of bones waiting to die.’
- ‘We've found animals wandering around the paddock, just a bag of bones, totally covered in scabs, hardly a hair on their body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.