One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statement or gesture intended to frighten someone into changing their course of action.‘supporters are firing a warning shot across the President's bows’
- ‘This is simply a warning shot across the bows of the Iraqi leadership.’
- ‘Most observers believe the bill was meant to be a shot across the Islamic Republic's bow.’
- ‘There are not that many who have been completely barred but it's fired a warning shot across the bows.’
- ‘The recall vote was a shot across the bows for all politicians.’
- ‘Apparently they sometimes give you a warning shot across the bows before they sink the fangs in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.