Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A statement or gesture intended to frighten someone into changing their course of action.‘supporters are firing a warning shot across the President's bows’
- ‘This is simply a warning shot across the bows of the Iraqi leadership.’
- ‘Most observers believe the bill was meant to be a shot across the Islamic Republic's bow.’
- ‘There are not that many who have been completely barred but it's fired a warning shot across the bows.’
- ‘The recall vote was a shot across the bows for all politicians.’
- ‘Apparently they sometimes give you a warning shot across the bows before they sink the fangs in.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.