One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unpleasant feeling caused by the realization that something unpleasant or undesirable has happened or is about to happen.‘even to name the sum brought a sinking feeling to her stomach’
- ‘With a sinking feeling, I realized that Angel had not yet told Wesley what Cordelia and I had just revealed.’
- ‘It was impossible but I have got that sinking feeling inside me that I could have done something.’
- ‘Suna realized, with a sinking feeling, what the king was talking about.’
- ‘She took a step toward Glenn, and with a sinking feeling, I realized she was abandoning me.’
- ‘With a sinking feeling, Rue realized Claire had locked the door and it hadn't been her imagination when she heard the click.’
- ‘While many York residents got that sinking feeling again over the weekend, one restaurant owner's ingenious flood protection plan has saved him thousands of pounds.’
- ‘When I wake up in the morning I get that sinking feeling, you know?’
- ‘It's that sinking feeling when you discover the very expensive typo.’
- ‘Not that I really have homework per se, but there's that sinking feeling of not accomplishing all I wanted to do with my time off, and looking ahead to another week just as busy as the last.’
- ‘Those clubs that suffer that sinking feeling will probably find it twice as difficult to bounce back, since rumours from the working party on restructuring the leagues are hinting at a ten-team Premiership One.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.