One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Very good or well; excellent.‘guitar, A1 condition’
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstandingView synonyms
- ‘The car's build quality is A1, but the ride is jiggly on less than good road surfaces.’
- ‘Last season's Grand National-winning jockey returned to the saddle at Catterick yesterday and reported himself to be in 'A1' condition.’
- ‘All values relate to showroom prices for cars in A1 condition.’
- ‘We did a good job and he had an A1 service from us but his injuries took his life.’
- ‘The recording is of A1 quality and they have taken that step further to the recognition that they deserve.’
- 1.1 (of a vessel in Lloyd's Register of Shipping) equipped to the highest standard; first-class.
- ‘Built by the Dublin Dockyard Company in 1923, Lloyd's of London graded her 'A1' up to 1950.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.