Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The side of a pop single regarded as the main one.
- ‘‘Baby Boomerang’, for example, appeared as an A-side nearly five years after it was originally released on The Slider.’
- ‘I also like the idea of recording songs in pairs and putting them out as double A-sides.’
- ‘It's also got a nifty closed groove on the A-side; to get to the song that follows you have to skip to the end and it plays backward.’
- ‘So I got to do the intro with him and it turned out to be the A-side of his record.’
- ‘The problem with this, though, is I think we're recording our 3 best songs so there's likely to be a debate over what becomes the A-side.’
- ‘His first single was a double A-side featuring Westlife's song ‘Evergreen’ and ‘Anything Is Possible’.’
- ‘This 10-song collection features mostly B-sides and a few A-sides, but generally it's material North Americans haven't been able to buy.’
- ‘The single will be a double A-side with two songs - both ballads.’
- ‘With its beefed-up beat and Monch's vocal skills, the song is now a bonafide A-side track.’
- ‘The A-side was ‘Reasons To Believe’ and a disc jockey in Cleveland turned it over and played it.’
- ‘I wanted to make an album that didn't have any throw away tracks on it… where every piece is a potential A-side single.’
- ‘And in a surprising turn of events, no singles were released for this album, with the assurance that they'd be releasing a few A-sides in December.’
- ‘The singer's representatives had insisted the chart show screen him singing both tracks from his double A-side single.’
- ‘The double A-side will be released as a limited edition vinyl.’
- ‘Can you guess the A-sides of each of these and the year they were all hits?’
- ‘Perhaps it's to be expected that a band called the A-Sides would package its debut single as a double A-side.’
- ‘As ever with these popularity/unpopularity polls, it was a bit of a double A-side - some bits were splendid, some were just frightening.’
- ‘Happily, the two tracks on offer here amply justify their existence as A-sides.’
- ‘I loved the writing on the A-side of the menu, too.’
- ‘The double A-side single Young Man is currently out on promo.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.