One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A frame shaped like a capital letter A.
- ‘Although it seems high to many handlers, the A-frame is the best obstacle to begin training.’
- ‘Team members have to move the frame with another person standing on the bar of the A-frame, by loosening and pulling on ropes at different times.’
- ‘Using a horse, some rope, and their stile as an A-frame for leverage, they were able to open up the chambered tomb.’
- ‘Some of the dog training obstacles include A-frames, dogwalks, weave poles, mini contact equipment, contact trainer, jumps (single, double, and triple), chutes, barrels, and teeters.’
- ‘The main timbers for the trusses were 12 in x 8in and were 40 ft long and they were used to construct 13 A-frames.’
- ‘Roof vaults are supported at their ends by big A-frames with large raking struts exposed.’
- ‘They are going to do multi-cores off the aft deck and piston coring off the side A-frame.’
- ‘One of the men had experience with tripods and derricks so they built two A-frames out of timbers and used pulleys and cables to lift the plane up, literally inch-by-inch.’
- ‘When placed in the hot coals of the public ovens overnight, the A-frame lid enables moisture to circulate in the form of steam and condensation, keeping the dish moist.’
- ‘‘I got the nurses to put one of those A-frames over the bed, and I tried to reach it, but I couldn't get there,’ Simon says.’
- ‘For launch from the mother ship the ship's own launch hoists can be used or alternatively an A-frame can be set up on the mother ship in under twelve hours.’
- ‘The club, which trains up to 70 dogs on Sunday mornings, lost a range of equipment including see-saws, tyre tunnels, and A-frames.’
- ‘They have confirmed that an underwater investigations have identified hairline fissures on the A-frame structures which support the propellor shafts.’
- ‘We followed in the footsteps of the crew along the flying walkway, passing under a large A-frame that supported the foremast.’
- ‘Obstacles include jumping through a hanging tire, scaling planks, running up and down an A-frame, and other challenges.’
- 1.1North American A house built around a timber A-frame.
- ‘A few miles away in a near-town neighborhood of lower-middle-class A-frames, several houses are decorated in familiar placards.’
- ‘In a year or so an A-frame that accommodates three or four families in style will be built on the site.’
- ‘The cabin is an A-frame, tall and thin, a cow skull wired over the doorway, fake Indian symbols painted around it.’
- ‘Small A-frame houses, Russian orthodox churches, and many new wooden buildings went up as Russians settled the area in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.’
- ‘Each is architecturally different, from a Cape Cod cottage, to an A-frame chateau, to a lighthouse look-alike.’
- ‘The A-frame house was the product of two years hard work; a test of the construction techniques used for the other buildings around the growing community.’
- ‘It was a modified A-frame at that point, the peak of the roof standing some eight meters from the ground, the top half above the porch roof all glass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.