Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A worker in metal.‘we do not know whether the metals were mined and smelted by the smith or purchased from miners’
- ‘Most of the metal smiths took up shop around there, knowing visitors would come looking for repairs to their armor, weapons and the shoeing of their horses.’
- ‘It takes a lot of time and energy to sculpt a piece of solid metal into a detailed figure, and unless a smith has these skills, she or he will spend great portions of their time on it.’
- ‘Torik, besides being a master metal smith, was also the rarest of craftsmen, one who could weave enchantments into his work.’
- ‘As early as 1720, British craftsmen, metal smiths and clockmakers, applied for permits to work in the newly formed presidencies.’
- ‘There is a family of potters who are exceptionally skilled, a weaver, a jeweler, and a metal smith.’
- 1.1‘the wheels then needed the smith's attention’short for blacksmith
- ‘The first smiths could change rocks into metal, purify as well as shape gold and copper and iron - most potent magic.’
- ‘At least one of the fifteen or so smiths would be hammering on metal at any given moment, making a clamour such as he had never heard before.’
- ‘An assistant swung the converter back into the crucible, leaving the smith free to turn his attention to the liquid steel in the mould.’
- ‘Behind the man Drillian could see a couple of the smiths hammering red-hot chunks of metal.’
- ‘There the smiths beat the metal on anvils on top or in huge furnaces.’
- ‘The metal hissed furiously as the smith quenched it in a trough of oil.’
Old English, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch smid and German Schmied.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.