One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of the aboriginal peoples of southern Africa commonly called Bushmen.See Bushman
- ‘Yet the research could also be twisted to bolster deep-seated prejudices against the San, probably the most abused and downtrodden ethnic group in southern Africa.’
- ‘‘I knew very well,’ he said, ‘That one did not call someone a San to his face.’’
- ‘Cognatic systems are found among Whites, Caprivians and some San, while patrilineal descent is found among Khoekhoegowab- and Tswana-speakers.’
2mass noun The group of Khoisan languages spoken by the San.
- ‘San turned out not to be closely related at all.’
- 2.1 Any of the San languages.
- ‘San is spoken in Namibia.’
From Nama sān ‘aboriginals, settlers’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.